Makes a large pan of very sticky sticky buns. This is a fair amount of work, but worth it for a special treat.
- For Dough
- 7/8 cup lukewarm water
- 3/4 Tbl rapid rise yeast
- 3/4 Tbl kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- For topping
- 7 Tbl unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup whole or half pecans
- For Filling
- 5 Tbl unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- For dough - in a large bowl mix together the eggs, water, honey, melted butter, yeast and salt. Stir well. Add in the flour. Use electric mixer with dough hook or large wooden spoon. Mix until all flour is incorporated. One to five minutes. Cover bowl in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or for up to four days. The long rise in cool temp increases flavor. In a sticky bun emergency, you can let the dough rise for two hours at room temperature.
- Lightly grease a 9 inch round or square cake pan (2+ inches deep). Remove the dough from the refrigerator, form into a ball and allow to rest at room temp for about 15 minute
- For topping - Cream the butter salt and sugar in electric mixer with paddle attachment. Spread the topping evenly on the bottom of the cake pan. Add pecans on top. (You will invert the pan when finished baking.)
- For filling - Cream together all ingredients except pecans. Set aside.
- Assembly - Dust your counter with flour and roll out the dough to 1/8"" rectangle. Somewhere around 12 by 16 inches. Spread the sweet butter filling evenly across the surface. Scatter with pecans. Roll it up, lengthwise. Cut the roll into 9 pieces for a square pan - 8 pieces for a round one. Place the cut pieces on top of the pecan topping in pan. Cover with a towel, and let rise for 1 hour.
- Baking - Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until rolls are golden brown and smell fantastic. Allow to cool for about 2 minutes, but WHILE STILL HOT, run a knife around the edge of the pan, and invert onto a heat-proof plate. If you wait, the sticky buns will be difficult to remove from the pan. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving as the sugar is extremely hot.